Today I made the chipbreaker.
Because of where the chipbreaker screw fell I decided to set this plane up with a wedge and pin rather than with a levercap or a screwcap. I’ll be milling out the casting where the screw was inserted, which will make the fitting of the infill easier. I drilled the cheeks and inserted a pin, routed a slot for the chipbreaker screw into the bed and cut a quick wedge.
The mouth is not particularly tight, about 1/16″, but with a chipbreaker it shouldn’t matter.
Now to take it all apart, do the final milling of the casting, make new wood parts, tune it up well and put it to work.
I preserved the draft or taper in thickness by inserting a shim under the heel of the plane before clamping it down.